Adding an effective title to your story is very important. What most people don't realize about the title of a story online is how important the number of letters you add, and the words you choose, really are. Adding too many characters or words in your title that have nothing to do with what you are writing about can drastically effect your stories visibility in search engines. We want as many people as possible to enjoy your story. That is the entire point of this blog.
Title Writing Advice
Tip 1: Title Length
The first thing we ask is that you use no more than 70 characters when creating a title. This includes spaces between words. The reason we ask for this, although do not enforce it, is because most search engines only index up to 70 characters in organic search results. We want people who are looking for your story to be able to read the full title when they are browsing the internet. If someone cannot read your entire title when they are surfing the web they are less likely to enter the website to enjoy your story. It's that simple. If you must have a title that is longer than 70 characters that is OK. We believe in the creative process and know how important the identity of your story is. You can click on the image to get a good example of what we are referring to. You title will be cut off in the search results using an ellipsis if it has to many characters.
Tip 2: Using Keywords
The words you choose to identify your story are more important than you think. We want you to use as much creativity as possible when creating a story title. That is what writing an original story is all about. Using keywords can increase your visibility on search engine and if you want more people to read your story than using words that are commonly typed in on the internet can increase the odds of people seeing your story. The best way to do keyword research is by using Google Adwords Keyword Tool.
All you have to do is type in a word or phrase using this tool, press search, and it will tell you how many people are typing in the particular word or phrase every month. If you are writing a story called "The Big Horrible Monster" and you input this title in to Google's Keyword Tool your will find that virtually no one is looking for this particular series of words. If you were to simply change this title to "The Big Scary Monster" the amount of people who are searching for this series of words using Google is around 600 a month. Better yet, people type in the words "Scary Monster" nearly 250,000 times a month whereas the words "Horrible Monster" are only searched for around 1,500 times a month using Google.
As you can see the words you choose can drastically effect the number of people who may potentially read your story. If changing the title detracts from the creative process or the impression that you are trying to make with your story than please do not change it. This is only advice for writers who would like to possibly attract more viewers. Using keywords does not guarantee more viewers.
Latest posts by Michael Anderson (see all)
- Forbes Censors Conservative Contributor for Criticizing Twitter Trump Ban! - January 12, 2021
- “Forsake Me Not” – A Poem of Loneliness, Loss and Death by Michael Anderson - January 10, 2021
- Dear Oregonians, Bank of America Does NOT Support the Constitution! - December 30, 2020
- The True Oracle of Blackness. - December 30, 2020
- How to Sabotage 3D Printed FAKE Meat in Grocery Stores - December 30, 2020
People Who Read This Have Also Read...
- 40[aio_button align="center" animation="none" color="gray" size="medium" icon="pencil" text="Submit Your Story or Poem Here" url="http://inmogul.blog/submit-work"] Welcome to blog.inMOGUL.com! Submitting your story on inMOGUL is easier than ever and will put your work in front of other readers and authors who can rate, review, comment on, and share your story or poetry. Also,…